Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"All there is to success is satisfaction."

"Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects."
"Ain’t but one thing wrong with every one of us in the world and that’s selfishness."
"I hope we never see the day when a thing is as bad as some of our newspapers make it."

"Whoever wrote the Ten Commandments made ’em short. They may not always be kept but they can be understood. "
"America is a land of opportunity and don’t ever forget it."

Those are some great quotes, eh? All from the same person:

Will Rogers

Chet's 4th grade class went to the Will Rogers Museum today.
Interesting to learn more about him. He was in 50 silent movies and 21 "talkies" before his death in a plane crash in 1936. His first showbiz job was in South Africa of all places! The museum has many artifacts of his life and many replicas of things to show what life was like back in the day. They showed a movie with some of his rope tricks and they were unbelievable! He could create a figure 8 shape in the air with his rope and rope the horse and the rider in the two loops! Easy to see why he would be so entertaining. And check out the common sense! If you read even more of his quotes, especially about politics, you would think someone today said them. I guess King Solomon was right: "There is nothing new under the sun."
And I'm starting to think that wherever I go there will some connection like this one:
My own six degrees of separation game with Disney! (only really it's like one or two degrees of separation!) There's always something Disney!
And speaking of magical things, Ethan brought home his journals from Kindergarten today. We sat down and read each one. It was neat to see his progress from just scribbles to full sentences and actual pictures, but this was my favorite entry:

As a mom, it's hard to beat that.
"Mothers are the only race of people that speak the same tongue. A mother in Manchuria could converse with a mother in Nebraska and never miss a word." - Will Rogers

1 comment:

amy said...

What an awesome day! I'm so glad you are able to experience all of this with your boys! What a blessing.

I love the kids' journals! So cute. All of Colby's entries started the same...."I like......" I could tell that somedays he didn't really want to be writing. Once he wrote that he liked light bulbs!