Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Stories about Mike

This last week our family lost one of our dearest friends, my dad's best friend from childhood, Mike Stroud. He succumb to a brain tumor that he had spent the last several years fighting. While I am glad is no longer suffering, I am sad for my dad, who has lost a true friend and I am sad to see little bit of my childhood pass away with him. In talking to my dad, I was reminded of so many great memories and family stories of Mike and Peggy (his first wife). It seems like the right time to write some of these down.

*A little history: Mike and my dad have been friends for almost their entire lives. Mike and my dad met in 6th grade shortly after my dad moved to Sunnymead when his dad was transferred to March Air Force Base in the mid-50's. They went to Alessandro Junior High School (later my jr. high school, too!) and Sunnymead Wesleyan Church together. (They are on the originial charter of the church.) They graduated from high school together in 1965.

*We spent many a Thanksgiving holiday and summer vacation outside of San Francisco at Mike and Peggy's house. We use to call it "The Upside Down House" because it was a split level home with the living room, family room and kitchen all upstairs and the three bedrooms were downstairs. Melissa and I slept on comfy beds in the kids/guest room while Mom and Dad slept on a sofa bed in the office. There were so many stuffed animals in that room! We loved it!

*Mike and Peggy had no kids, which made them instantly cool to me and my sister. Even though they didn't have children of their own, they were the most kid friendly and welcoming people I knew. Peggy LOVED Snoopy and was an avid collector! There was Snoopy things all over their house! One of the first things Melissa and I would do when we arrived at their house was count all the Snoopy things we could find to see if there were any new things since the last time we were there. (There always were!) The best Snoopy in the house? The giant Snoopy sitting in the big wicker basket chair hanging from the ceiling!! Yet another cool thing in their cool house because they didn't have kids. Surely, my mom and dad were never going to have a wicker basket chair hanging from the ceiling and the reason for that? My sister and I! Once in a while, we even got take Snoopy out and sit in the chair. Oooh! Big fun!

*We took many a Snoopy related field trip on our trips to San Francisco. Almost every trip involved a visit to Pier 39 (arguably one of the best places in S.F.) and the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm, a store devoted solely to Snoopy and the Peanuts gang. I had a Snoopy Belle Dress Up doll and would buy outfits for her there. They had everything Snoopy you could think of: toys, shirts, pins, coffee mugs, pencils, pens and books. I loved that store. Down the street was the Snoopy Ice Cream Shoppe, an old style ice cream parlor with some of the best ice cream I've tasted. One time we drove over the Golden Gate Bridge and in to Santa Rosa to a Peanuts Museum and ice rink near where Peanuts creator Charles Schultz lived. While eating at the accompanying ice cream parlor, Charles Schultz himself walked in! Peggy was so sweet wondering if she should talk to him. We were all beside over selves just seeing him. She did finally work up the courage and he graciously talked to her and drew a picture of Snoopy on a napkin for her and signed it. He was getting up there in years at this point and the lines were pretty shaky, but I know Peggy treasured that little napkin like it was gold.

*Mike introduced us to the most heavenly ice cream sandwich known as the "It's It" at this little tiny ice cream shop by the bay. Vanilla Ice Cream sandwiched between two soft oatmeal cookies and covered in a thin layer of chocolate. It used to be we could only find them when we were visiting Nothern California, but recently my sister found them in Southern California and I couldn't wait to share one with her on my latest trip home! Yum!

*Mike was the first person to point out that my generation "goes" when having a conversation instead of "saying" what we mean to say.

* When I graduated from high school, Mike sent me a blue backpack from the Half Moon Bay Backpack Company. He said it was guaranteed for life and I could send it back if it ever fell apart. I carried throughout my entire 4 years in college and on many a trip. I still have it and while it's definitely worn but I still love it. A reminder of a great person and a great time in my life.

*When Mike and Peggy would visit us, Mike and my dad would go play basketball. I now realize it was to get some guy time, but as a child I would often ask to go and sometimes they were nice enough to let me. I liked hanging out with the big boys on the court. One of our biggest family jokes came from a BBQ with the Noftz family, when a big group of us were playing a pick up game and Mike fouled Rich and I was indignant that he get a free throw for it because we played basketball in P.E. and "I know basketball!" I've been quoted on this repeatedly since the 8th grade! Surely, one of my finest moments!

*Mike owned a Dalmatian and a couple of other dogs. The Dalamatian was a little crazy and lived primarily in the backyard. We got to feed the dogs treats from the balcony. It was a treat for my sister and I as well!

*We visited Great America, Marineworld U.S.A., Knott's Berry Farm, San Diego Wild Animal Park and lots of other parks and tourist spots!

*One of the most beautiful letters I've ever read was written by Mike right after Peggy passed away after her own long battle with a brain tumor. He wrote about his love for her and what she meant to him. It brought me to tears. One of the most touching things I've ever read.

Mike had a great laugh and he laughed a LOT when we were around. I always felt like he was glad to see me. He talked to me like I was an adult even though I was only a child. I loved visiting him and Peggy. I can truly say my life is better for having known Mike Stroud. You will be missed, Mike. We love you.

No comments: