What a day, eh? The Pride and Patriotism I am filled with on each Inaugration Day is incomparable. The peaceful transfer of power within the most powerful country on Earth is just an awe-inspiring thing. Whether your guy won or lost, whether your party is coming or going, this day we come together as Americans, look forward and hope for the future, because really no matter who you voted for, you hope that whoever is doing the job is doing it well.
I distinctly remember the first Inaugration that I watched - thanks to Miss Massey, my fourth grade teacher. We watched Ronald Reagan take the oath of office on those same steps that Barack Obama stood on today. It's one of the childhood memories that's seared in my brain. It was so exciting and he was so hopeful. Well, today, 28 years later, I have a fourth grader and today I got to watch the Inaugration with him in his class. It was one of those full circle moments. I know it won't have same significance to him that it did to me, but I hope he remembers what he saw today and that someday he realizes how important it all is. I hope he realizes someday how lucky we are to live in a country where who has the power is not determine by who has the biggest army or who has the birthright, but by a vote of the people - ALL the people of this country. Yes, indeed, we live in the most amazing country on Earth. God Bless America!
No comments:
Post a Comment