Well, here we are beginning Ethan's b-day weekend and I still haven't gotten in a decent blog entry about my sweet oldest boy! I've been meaning to get these pictures of the chess tournament up but "meaning to" and doing are two totally different things! This was two Saturdays ago. The chess tournament was held by the Broken Arrow School District Gifted program. So, most of the students (K-12) were gifted kids. Yes, they were all playing CHESS! How well they were playing I don't know, but they were out there giving it their best! I don't even know how to play so I was duly impressed with the 300 or so kids playing in the tournament. Chet played 5 rounds and had two losses and 3 draws. He was okay with it until he lost the last one and then he was kinda upset over the whole thing. I told him I was proud that he just learned this game and here he was competing in it! I will have to get him to teach me so I can help him practice! The boy who won was in their class and told Chet that was the kid to play if you want to get better!
My big boy also came home with straight A's for the second time this year! His teacher says he doesn't even really have to try to get such good grades, of course, he does need to finish his work and turn it in, but he's getting better about that! I asked why he wasn't getting his work done and he said he was distracted by the people he was sitting with and wanted me to ask his teacher if he could sit by himself. She said it was the first time she had been asked by a student to sit by themselves! It looks like it's working - he says he gotten all his work done this week and he even got to go the library this afternoon because he was done with his work! He was very proud of himself. He really is such a good kid. He is in the middle of reading Harry Potter right now. Yes, HE is reading it himself. We read some of it together at bedtime, but all his reading time for homework he spends reading this 400+ page book by himself! Amazing to me! HE is amazing to me! I feel lucky to have such a great kid!
No comments:
Post a Comment