Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Green Eggs & Ham, the best book ever written?


Okay, that maybe going a bit far, but really "Green Eggs and Ham" has so much to it! I've been reading this to Ethan each day for the last couple weeks and we keep finding new little treasures in this classic book. Being in Pre-K rhymes are a big deal. So at the end (or middle) of each page he tells me the rhymes that he hears and even makes up some of his own ("house and wouse, Mommy, it rhymes!") Then there's all the different letters to name and all the different animals to recognize. And, if that's not enough, it's about some guy refusing (pretty close to having a tantrum, if you ask me) to try something new. After turning his nose up at green eggs and ham a million times, he FINALLY tries it and, lo behold, HE LIKES IT! It gives me hope for my children! Perhaps one day I can make dinner without hearing "but I don't like that". Or may be not, one can always hope...

One more little Ethan story: This picture is Ethan with his little best friend Karsyn. They do like each very much. Now, Karsyn sometimes likes Ethan more than he likes her. Some weeks he wants to play her as much as we mothers will allow and other weeks he doesn't want to play with anybody, at all, ever. One day I asked him why he didn't want to play with Karsyn. He responded, "Because I am not her true love." Oh my! Well, this week he's wanted to play with her every day after school. Yesterday, I told him I didn't know if she wanted to play today. He said, "Or she could be begging to play with me!" Apparently, he won't be needing any help with his self-esteem any time soon!

No comments: